Hungary is a landlocked country in Central Europe, situated in the Carpathian Basin. It is bordered by Slovakia to the north, Ukraine and Romania to the east, Serbia and Croatia to the south, Slovenia to the southwest and Austria to the west.
The landscape consists mostly of plains in the east, low hills to the west and small mountains to the north. Kékestető (1014 m) is the country’s highest point in northern Hungary. The major rivers are the Danube and the Tisza. The biggest lake is Lake Balaton that is the “Hungarian sea”, located in Transdanubia. The country is divided into 19 counties. Budapest is the capital of Hungary.
Hungary is the member of the European Union, the NATO, the OECD, the Visegrád Group, the WTO and the Schengen state.
Year of EU entry: 2004
Schengen area: Member of the Schengen area since 2007
Total area: Hungary has an area of 93 030 km2, 0,74% of it is water.
Population: 10 million
Form of State: Parliamentary Republic
Currency: Hungarian Forint (HUF; in Hungarian: Ft) Official HUF exchange rates
Electricity: 220 volts AC, 50Hz. European-style two-pin plugs are used.
Bank, credit card: Major credit cards are accepted in most hotels, restaurants and shops. Obtaining cash against ATM or credit cards is very easy from the ATM cash machines that can be found at almost each bank office, hotel or on the street. Away from the larger cities and towns you will need to travel with cash as ATMs are less common. Euros, British Pounds, US Dollars and other major currencies can be easily exchanged locally in banks or bureaux de change or prior to departure. Traveller’s Cheques are not recommended as they’re often difficult to exchange and incur high fees.
Local time: GMT+1 hour
International country phone code: +36
Useful phone numbers
- Ambulance: 104
- Police: 107
- Fire service: 105
- Central help number: 112
- General enquiries: 197
- Domestic enquiries: 198
- International enquiries: 199
- Tourist Police (0-24): 06-1-438-8080
- 24-hour medical assistance in English: 06-1-2400-475
- 24- hour pharmacy: District 6, Teréz krt 41. (telephone: 06-1-311-4439) near Oktogon
- Airport Ferihegy – general (flight information) number: 06-1-296-7155
- Airport Ferihegy Terminal 2A – information about arrivals: 06-1-296-8000
- Airport Ferihegy Terminal 2A – information about departures: 06-1-296-7000
- Airport Ferihegy Terminal 2B – information about arrivals: 06-1-296-5052
- Airport Ferihegy Terminal 2B – information about departures: 06-1-296-5883
- Information about local and international trains: MÁVDIREKT 06-40-49-4949
- Budapest public transport – TIMETABLES